Happy Monday, everyone! We post a lot of event reminders here at As The Eraser Burns, but that’s because there’s so much going on! We want to make sure you don’t miss a thing. With that in mind, get out your calendars, because here’s another round of upcoming SCBWI Events:
Write-In/Sketch-In – Sunday, January 29, 2017 from 1-4 PM at Historic Savage Mill in Savage, MD.
Work on your latest project surrounded by fellow authors and illustrators, with refreshments, door prizes, and lots of moral support! Published and Listed Members of SCBWI will be on hand offering 10-minute first page, query, or illustration critiques for $10. This free program is co-sponsored by Say Cheese, Sweet Cascades Chocolatiers, Books with a Past, and the MD/DE/WV Region of the Society for Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators. Please RSVP by January 25 to help us plan for refreshments at our website.
SCBWI MD/DE/WV Annual Conference 2017: “From Dreaming To Doing” March 18-19, 2017
Registration is open for our two-day annual conference held at the Claggett Center in Buckeystown, Maryland. For more details and to register, go to our website.
• Keynote Speaker: Bruce Coville
• Editors and Art Directors: Chad Beckerman (Abrams), Liz Kossnar (Simon and Schuster), Alyssa Nassner (Abrams), Leila Sales (Viking Penguin Random House)
• Agents: Thao Le (Sandra Dijkstra & Associates), Andrea Morrison (Writers House), Jessica Sinsheimer (Sarah Jane Freymann Literary Agency)
• Authors and Illustrators: Veronica Bartles, Calef Brown, Julie Dietzel-Glair, Mary Fan, Erin Hagar, Patricia Hruby Powell, Katy Kelly, Minh Le, Laura Shovan, Susan Stockdale
• Friday evening social activities
• Saturday keynote and breakout sessions
• Sunday morning intensive workshops
Presentations on a variety of topics, including
• Writing inclusively
• Introverts and extroverts in publishing
• Working with small presses and large presses
• Seamlessly incorporating research into your writing
• Developing a story from beginning to end
• Finding your visual style
• Nonfiction techniques for science, social science, and biographies
• Everything you need to know about queries and submissions
• School visits
• Harnessing the power of social media
SCBWI NY17 Annual Winter Conference in NYC February 10-12, 2017 at the Grand Hyatt New York
Registration is open now on the SCBWI website. This year’s Keynotes include Bryan Collier, Tahereh Mafi, and Sara Pennypacker. As always this fantastic conference offers our acclaimed Faculty of editors, agents and art directors will lead special breakout sessions; opportunity to display your illustrations in the Portfolio Showcase; optional Friday intensives for writers and illustrators who want to dive deep into their craft; networking gala. See the full schedule at the link above.
SCBWI Summer Conference in LA – General Conference: July 7 – 9, 2017; Optional Intensives: July 10, 2017
Save the dates! The Summer Conference in Los Angeles will be held at the JW Marriott at LA Live. This beautiful hotel is located directly next to LA Live, the premier downtown campus featuring sports and music venues, night clubs, restaurants, a bowling alley, museum and movie theaters. Registration will be open in early spring with more info coming soon.
If you have any questions about the above events, be sure to leave them in the comments below!
Happy writing and drawing, and can’t wait to see you at our annual conference!