Happy Tuesday! Are you participating in Camp NaNoWriMo this July? I am as well as our member and SCBWI MD/DE/WV Twitter coordinator, Tracy Gold. If you are, too, be sure to let us know how you’re doing by finding us on Twitter! Here’s Tracy’s Twitter page and mine. Best of luck!
Our co-regional advisor, Kathy MacMillan also shared some member news and announcement recently that I thought I’d post here in case you didn’t see it. There’s a lot going on in the upcoming months!
1) Thursday, July 7 at 7 PM: Q&A with Christopher Cheng: Writing for Many Ages at the Long Branch Library in Silver Spring, Maryland
Award-winning author and co-chair of the SCBWI International Advisory Board Christopher Cheng will be in Maryland! He’s graciously agreed to stop off and speak with our group. Don’t miss this opportunity. Learn more about Chris at http://www.chrischeng.com/ Program is free; please register here.
2) Saturday, September 10 at 2 PM: Off the Pages: A Conversation with Middle Grade and Young Adult Authors at Baltimore County Public Library’s Hereford Branch
Join 5 writers of fiction for children and teens for a lively, interactive panel discussion about their inspirations, writing process, and the value of stories in the modern world. Books will be available for purchase and signing after the program. This panel is co-sponsored by Baltimore County Public Library and the MD/DE/WV Region of the Society for Book Writers and Illustrators. Featured authors: Jan Gangsei (Zero Day), Karen Hattrup (Frannie and Tru), Kathy MacMillan (Sword and Verse), Laura Shovan (The Last Fifth Grade of Emerson Elementary), and Ronald L. Smith (Hoodoo). Program is free; please register here.
3) September 23-25: Baltimore Book Festival
Three days of FREE panels, signings, and lots of bookish fun! Our region will once again host a booth featuring our Published and Listed Members and their books! PAL Members, please contact email@example.com if you are interested in reserving a timeslot.
4) Conference Postcard Contest
Each year, the MD/DE/WV region holds a contest to design the postcard that goes out to regional members, announcing the upcoming annual conference. This gives the illustrator a chance to have work highlighted. The theme of the 2017 conference is “From Dreaming to Doing”. Deadline for submission is October 14, 2016. Find out how to enter here.
5) Saturday, October 22, 1-4 PM: Write-in/Sketch-in for Children’s and YA Writers and Illustrators at the Finksburg Library, Finksburg, Maryland
Work on your latest project surrounded by fellow authors and illustrators, with refreshments, hourly door prizes, and lots of moral support! Published and Listed Members of SCBWI will also be on hand offering 10-minute first page, query, or illustration critiques for $10. This free program is co-sponsored by Carroll County Public Library and the MD/DE/WV Region of the Society for Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators. Please RSVP by October 19 here.
6) Saturday, November 5: Picture Book Academy in Westminster, Maryland
Save the date for this all-day workshop on creating great picture books! Will feature workshops, presentations and panel discussions as well as individual critiques. More info to come!
Kathy also share some great ways for members to…
- Join our region’s Facebook group!
- Follow our region’s blog, As the Eraser Burns Want to contribute? Check out the submission guidelines.
- Interested in finding and joining a critique group in your area of our region? Visit our regional critique group page. If you have any questions, email Mike Karg at firstname.lastname@example.org,
- Published And Listed author or illustrator members (PAL): Check out our PAL Member Resources page to find out how to sign up for our PAL Member email group and how to sign up to present an Author’s Book Club event. (If you are not sure if you are a PAL member, please check your profile at scbwi.org) Questions? Contact our PAL Coordinator, Veronica Bartles at email@example.com.
- Do you have an idea for an event? See one you like but wish it were closer to you? Contact our Event Coordinator, Sarah Maynard firstname.lastname@example.org and she can help you plan an event in your area, or give you more information. We need you!
Again, best of luck to my fellow Camp NaNoWriMo’ers and happy writing and drawing!