So, who’s excited about the upcoming Spring: From the Bay to the Mountains conference? Hands? Hands?
You know my hand is raised. And I’m doubly excited about staying at the new Christiane Inn at the Clagett Center and participating in all the fun activities planned! In case you don’t know what activities I’m talking about, I thought I’d do a giant ALL THINGS CONFERENCE post today to get you up to speed.
First, have you been following along with the great pre-conference interviews/bios we’ve been posing? If not, here’s the links. And be on the lookout for our next interview on Friday with Amy Cloud, Editor of Aladdin Books, Simon & Schuster:
Did you see Susan’s Hear ye, Hear ye! We need your legal questions post regarding how any questions you might have about contracts, structuring your business, or copyright and intellectual property can be submitted early? Conference presenter and attorney Razvan Miutescu will be answering as many as them as possible.
For you first-time attendees, do you need some tips? No problem, we’ve got you covered in these past posts and if you have any more questions, please don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments below:
Hey, Illustrators, did you see the wonderfully thorough Conference Highlights for Illustrators message sent by Rebecca Evans, our MD/DE/WV SCBWI Illustrator Coordinator? If not here’s her highlights:
–EB Lewis, Caldecott winning illustrator. Ask anyone who’s heard him. Don’t miss the chance to be in the room with this generous, articulate, most talented, Artistrator. You’ll remember why you started doing what we do in the first place.
– Heather Alexander, Agent from Pippin Properties representing both authors and illustrators will give a talk on How to Build Your Brand: For Illustrators A discussion of styles, social media, and how to focus your efforts to break into illustrating for children’s books.
– Emily Feinberg, Assistant Editor, Roaring Brook Press, Using picture books as a medium, Emily will discuss the interplay between the writer and the illustrator for an entire intensive on Sunday. She’s speaking on nonfiction picture books on Saturday.
– Carol Burrell, Freelance Editor, previously the editorial director of Graphic Universe, will discuss All About the Graphic Novel,
– Travis Keller, Illustrator, will discuss Using Crowdfunding to “Kickstart” Your Career as a Writer/Illustrator
– Legal Eagle Razvan E. Miutescu will introduce the key issues involved in contracts, business organization, and intellectual property/copyright. SEND YOUR QUESTIONS TO MDDEWV@SCBWI.ORG ahead of time. Raz will tailor his talk to match our areas of interest.
– Susan Raab – Finding Your Marketing Voice (Sat.) and Master Class: New Rules of Media Engagement (Sunday Intensive)
*****Don’t Forget to bring your Portfolio to show-off at the Portfolio Showcase table, as well as promotional cards****
Sarah Maynard also sent out a message regarding the fun KIDLIT TRIVIA NIGHT she’s cooked up!
Start your conference weekend with a bang! Join us on Friday at 7 pm and battle for the title of KIDLIT TRIVIA CHAMPIONS! Rounds will include topics ranging across the children’s book spectrum from picture books to YA novels and their creators as well as some SCBWI trivia. Prizes will be awarded! Location at the Claggett Center to be announced.
After a day filled with craft and business, join us on Saturday night at 7 pm in Monocacy Hall for a fun community activity where we will take the often solitary task of writing and illustrating for children and make it a group effort in a game of Round Robin Story & Art. Following the game, we will move across the courtyard into the Christiane Inn for a Mix & Mingle with wine and light snacks.
These events are included with your Saturday conference registration.
Please RSVP, for one or both events, by emailing Sarah Maynard at firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, March 24.
And finally, if you have not yet registered for all this awesomeness, there’s still time! Just go here but don’t dally … registration closes tomorrow, March 19th!
Happy writing and drawing and I can’t wait to see you at the conference!