AWESOME! Here’s a fantastic report sent by John Micklos, Jr. about Delaware Writers Group’s first anniversary. Thanks, John, we love hearing great news!
The Delaware Writers Group, a critique group formed after an SCBWI regional event in Frederick,Maryland, in 2011, celebrated its first anniversary in April with a cake decorated with artwork by group member Kenneth Shepherd. The group meets monthly in local libraries, offering support and manuscript advice to one another.
Among them, group members have published nearly 20 books, have more than 50 years of SCBWI membership, and have attended numerous children’s writing conferences. Members include illustrators and authors spanning the gamut from picture books to young adult novels.
Group members find the peer critiques extremely valuable in helping them move their projects forward, and they appreciate the inspiration they gain from fellow group members. The group looks forward to celebrating many more anniversaries together and also to celebrating the publication of many more books!
Members of the Delaware Writers Group celebrate their first anniversary at the Newark Free Library. Front row (from left): Loretta Carlson, Kenneth Shepherd, Sue Peters; Second row (from left): Diane Rau, Carolyn Griffith, Stephanie Przybylek, John Micklos, Jr., Carol Larese Millward. Not pictured: Lois Hoffman.
Kenneth Shepherd poses with the cake depicting a scene from his Bird and Worm picture book manuscript.
Here’s a sampling of Delaware Writers Group members’ current works-in-progress:
- Carolyn Griffith, Northern Lights (YA novel)
- Loretta Carlson, Finding Giselle (YA novel)
- Stephanie Przybylek, A Beastiary of Coastal Delmarva (picture book, author/illustrator)
- Carol Larese Millward, Changing Colors (YA novel)
- Diane Rau, Confessions of a Left-Handed Pitcher (middle grade novel)
- Sue Peters, Scary Little Ride (picture book)
- John Micklos, Jr., Sun, Surf and Sand: Beach Poems (picture book)
- Kenneth Shepherd, Bird and Worm (picture book, author/illustrator)
- Lois Hoffman, Don’t Touch That, Oscar! (picture book)
Fantastic! Congratulations and a mighty woo-HOO to all the members of the Delaware Writers Group and best of luck with all your current works-in-progress!
Also, if you missed Monday’s post about our May Mid-Grade Madness Challenge, use this link to check it out!
Happy writing and illustrating, everyone! 🙂